SPOILERS ... SPOILERS ... SPOILERS

EPISODE 6

The missing finger case continues and still no end, the end should be tomorrow.



Woman's Finger Chopped Off Whilst Drugged

The case continues with an interesting twist.



Vincent and Ben approached the bartender called Eric hoping he could confirm their theory that Mark snuck into the apartment and chopped off Anna's finger out of jealousy. Indeed Eric confirmed that he saw Mark driving his car to Anna's apartment at around 3.15 am or so. He even confirmed he and Anna had a very close relationship and Anna was always abused physically by the hot headed Mark.



At this juncture, my mind had one question; How come Eric was standing near Anna's place at 3.15 am and conveniently saw Mark driving there??



Ahhh the answer not much later.



Mark became the witness and insisted he did go there but did not step out of his car because he didn't want to catch Anna in bed with another man, thus losing face. He wanted to deal with her later. The security videos at that apartment would have showed he was not lying. So the question goes back to who chopped off Anna's finger?



Then Ben and Vincent reached a new discovery. They realised everything was way too convenient for Eric, that Eric was wearing the same necklace that Anna wore in a picture Eric posted in his bar. That Eric himself said Anna begged him to take her away from Mark. That Eric was there at the apartment though the bar was far away. So Vincent thought the best strategy is to pin the blame on Eric whom they both felt was the real culprit. Ben couldn't do it so Vincent volunteered. On the stand Vincent totally killed Eric's credibility but Eric kept saying "It wasn't me, it wasn't me" whilst Anna looked ... I don't know, between shocked and mildly interested in what was saying. Yes that actress was horrible.



To know the conclusion you have to read my thoughts tomorrow because no conclusion today.



My theory is Eric didn't do it, neither did Mark. I think TVB is gonna pull a red herring on us all and in the end it was Dr Lam, the finger fetish sicko who liked her finger very much. It must be because he looked way too innocent you know? I mean for shock value itself this would make a brilliant ending, that even Vincent and Ben were duped. BUT it could be the usual ending, Eric did it. That would be so boring.



Anyway, new case today.



Sexual Assault Case At Karaoke Lounge

Master Hung gave Jessica this case because Vincent and Ben were busy and Ling refused to take another sicko case. So Jess had to do it but she was so scared that even Master Hung had to scold her and said "If you keep wanting to be second chair, why would I want to hire you?!".



But Jess lacked confidence and when interviewing the culprit, she suggested that he should consider pleading guilty and that was the first time when back at office, Master Hung screamed at poor Jess in front of everybody, causing her to flee in embarassement and disappointment at her ownself.



The case is fairly simple. Few drunk men met few drunk women and they played a game where the loser had to be kissed by the winner and the winner was an old ugly often mistaken to be a sexual misfit of a mechanic whilst the girl was a young pretty sarong party girl. She refused unless he barked like a dog. He did and she laughed at him. At that point he was so angry he bit her on the lips. Thus he was charged with sexual assault.



Poor Jess was so angry with herself she went to do taekwondo. Vincent felt guilty for saying things like she is a loser even before she became a winner and went to see her and was so impressed that he asked her to teach him some moves, because he didn't want to know known as Sickly Ming anymore. At the meantime Vincent convinced Jess that she can do it and Jess felt even more relieved to hear her idol's words that she asked Ling to help her to win her first case. They again went to interview the client and Ling thought of a solution.



Ling and Jess went to see a rather snotty looking prosecutor (why all prosecutors had to look snotty in this series??) and plea bargained with her. Ling's case was there no sexual assault but normal misdeameanour or simple assault case which probably carries only a fine or maybe suspended jail term. The prosecutor was not convinced and Ling said he bit her, not kissed her, there was no sexual element and Jess also tried her best in persuading that prosecutor. In the end Jess won her first case but Ling was gracious enough to say Jess did it, not Ling.



Back to the relationships plot.



Today we see more of Jess who has a serious issue of self confidence and the ruthlessness of Vincent. Again Jess is such a silly character, a caricature but I like her because Bernice Liu played her cute. And may I comment on Bernice's absolutely fantastic figure. She actually looked bigger than Sammul Chan!



Ok, Vincent. The good thing about today's epsisode on this issue is how together they all are. When Jess has a problem, Vincent, Ben and Ling all volunteered to help her. Such co-operation amongst them, because the firm is small.



Vincent himself is shown as someone heartless, he has no problem pointing the finger at Eric, whilst Ben couldn't do it. It shows Vincent can be very professional and detached and I like that aspect because that makes him more real. But I am getting tired of watching his self assured smile.



As for Ben, he's still the ultimate nice guy, even nicer today.



You see Ling obviously likes Vincent who obviously likes Ling but no move yet. Ben likes Ling and Ling kinda likes him, in a friend kinda way. Ling and Vincent today shared some intimate/more than friendly moment by eating ice cream together. Yes in TV world that shows closeness, so start eating ice creams with your loved ones. As for Ben, Ling even offered to give him a lift (something she did reluctantly before) and then Ling went back home but Ben followed her, worried about her safety. Lucky for her because she interuppted a couple who was playing a rape fantasy near her apartment (of all things, in public) and she stopped the guy and the guy almost hit her when Ben came to the rescue but the guy knocked Ben's noodles he just bought and some of the hot soup hit Ling and more hit Ben. Then that guy went away. Ling took Ben to her apartment and they saw her mom and dad (why must a loving elderly couple always stand with the husband's hand on wife's shoulder, as they walked from one room ro another?). Ling cooked Ben instant noodle for him to take hom and back at home Ben ate the noodle eventhough everybody thought it was leftovers (it looked bad). Ben was in love and even volunteered to fix Ling's favourite handbag by knitting it. He had to learn knitting.



But the story is clear. Ling has eyes for Vincent, all the girls' favourite man. Well he is a gentleman. He didn't have to run after Jess but he did, he consoled her, it shows he is not that emotionally detached except when he is doing a case.



I still love Ben but I am intrigued by Vincent, not so much as the actor's performance but the character himself. I find Vincent very real. Ben may exist but such good man is so hard to find.



Today's performance is still top notch. Raymond Lam is so cute, I must say this again, his Ben is so lovable and huggable. Definitely he has scored the perfect character that showcase his goofiness, comic timing, and some serious acting.



Sammul Chan is smiling too much. He should stop that because I am beginning to dislike Vincent though I am intrigued by his character. Acting wise Sammul Chan simply lacked it all, especially that scen where Bernice as Jess was getting too close to his Vincent and he had to act embarassed or maybe even afraid of her. But that scene he did badly. What I like though is the way he talks when discussing a case. He would whisper a bit, look at a blank space and just stare and talk. Scary but effective. Scary because it shows Vincent as very confident man to the point of perhaps over confident and effective because Vincent would have been that way. I still feel Kevin Cheng would have been perfect for this role because I can't see Sammul as attractive. Boyish yes, weak yes but a sexual magnet? Not really. He does look incapable of throwing a punch. One very funny scene was again Ben and Vincent was in the bar and those gangsters were again there. But before they can act, Ben took a chair and loudly placed it in front of them and Vincent did a high kick (having practiced with Jess) in a very convincing manner and then they coolly walked away and the next scene they were running huffingand puffing. Vincent reasoned that that was all show and since neither of them could actually beat those guys, he thought pretending he could was the only way to escape!



Myolie is still on a very good acting track though she had little heavy drama to do just yet. But I suspect her Ling must have been through some traumatic experience because she mentioned she had to stop those rape from occuring again. Perhaps she was a victim of a failed sexual assault? Well we will know soon I think.



Bernice Liu ... speechless if you ask me about her acting but if you ask me about the actress herself I would say such sunshine.



Everybody else was just fine except for some cameo, bad acting by secondary actors as in ke-le-fes.



The cases are getting interesting though and I wonder did Eric do it or was it as I predicted??



Tomorrow we shall know.

7 comments:

Anonymous September 23, 2004 at 12:23 PM  

Name: Kidd

Initially like Ben a lot. But as the series progresses, Ben become more and more boring. He is so nice and perfect that he really bore me death. Vincent on the other hand, will become more and more complex and intersting as the series progresses. By half way or 2/3 of the series (sorry, my memory is very poor when it comes to numbers and dates), he has become my favourite character.

Anyway, I won't be reading u episodic thought religiously like I did Aqua Heroes because
1)I'm not as interested in reading reviews/people's view about this series as AH. This is because AH has my favouite actor in it.
2)I think Sammul Chan did a pretty good job with Vincent and he is very attractive in here. It's not the look that make him attractive but his self-confidence. This make me like both the actor and character. Seeing u critisize Sammul all the time really make me mad. So, for the good of my health, I will just drop by once in a while. :p

Anonymous September 23, 2004 at 4:55 PM  

" I still feel Kevin Cheng would have been perfect for this role " your this comment made me remember back a series I just watch recently "Placebo Cure " with Sunny Chan Kam Hung , Joyce Tang and Kevin Cheng . I love this series and I feel Kevin have improved a lot , he got that "some presence " in him .

I am not saying Samuel is no good but Kevin could have been a better choice .

Anonymous September 23, 2004 at 5:44 PM  

Name: Kidd

Just want to eleborate on the self-confidence of Vincent. I feel that Sammul did a good job with Vincent because he was able to exude that 'I have full believe in myself' air. He really look very confident and cool and I think his smile just add to his attrativeness. Why can't he smile, really? If u have so much self-believe, u will be smiling a lot too because u feel good about yourself. Kevin Cheng no doubt is a better looking guy. But I didn't feel as much self-believe and coolness in Gei Hing Tin (Kevin's character in BF2) as I did Vincent. Survivor's Law is the only series where I found Sammul attractive. So, that make his acting, in my book, convincing.

Ben is someone I would want as a boyfriend in real life because he is so good and caring. But as a TV character he is boring. He is not only nice, but also funny, intelligent, sympathetic, righteous, humble, always right etc. He is practically flawless.

Btw, I really do not know how Jess can pass her law exam. Jess is not even a trainee. She is a fully qualified lawyer. How can her professor pass her with such a bad performance in court? The case is like Hor Yan passing the PNC test with honour. Totally illogical

Funn Lim September 24, 2004 at 8:32 AM  

Kidd, getting a law degree is not hard. Practising law is hard. Maybe she is a better student than a practising lawyer or maybe she got a 3rd class degree which is not hard to get.

Funn Lim September 24, 2004 at 8:34 AM  

Kidd-It's true then that girls like bad boys? Aiyah...don't be so emotional lar. I like to watch Vincent too. I will say something nice about Vincent and Sammul Chan in my coming thoughts. I swear.

Ok Ben may be boring after a while but I like his goofiness. He is not perfect mind you, not flawless, he is just decent.

Anonymous September 26, 2004 at 7:12 PM  

Hi Funn. I'm not sure about other girls, but honestly, I don't like bad boys. At least not the biker type or the playboy type or the gangster type. To me Vincent is ambitious and confident and he kinda cares more about winning cases than the wellfare of his client. But does he do anything bad, actually? Does he break the law or cheat in order to win a case? No. He is a bit like Lex in Smallville, an ambiguous character. Not saintly, but not entirely a bad guy either. That make his character interesting. But his ambition and self-confidence is not the main reason that makes me like him so much. He has one more personality (or personal value) that will be shown in later episodes that I myself value a lot that makes him my favourite character.

Btw, my mom also says Sammul Chan is attractive because he has smiling eyes. If you pay more notice, u will notice that Sammul's eyes actually shone more than the others. It is really not my imagination because I purposely pay attention to everyone's eyes after I realise this, and they just don't seem to shine as much.

I actually prefer nice guy more. My favourite r those scholarly type. My favourite character in Blade Heart is the nicest guy in the whole series and my favourite character in the Lu XiaoFeng books is also the kindest and most zen character in the books. But as I say before, I don't like watching perfect characters.

Anonymous September 26, 2004 at 7:14 PM  

Sorry, forgot to put my name. The above comment is by me, Kidd.

NOTICE

SPOILERS alert!

All opinion remains my own

Episodic thought is a detailed recap/summary and short review of each episode (as I watch them) with a dash of my own unique way of writing (basically it means if you're not into opinion that may differ from yours, please do not continue reading.

Your comments are most welcomed. Do use Post A Comment for the appropriate episode. Do remember to bookmark the episode so you may refer back when someone replies to your comments (if any). When commenting, please observe the rules of decorum and common courtesy. If this is a new series, please avoid posting future spoilers in earlier episodes, however you may post speculations.

For your information

This series was released in 2003 but was broadcast over ASTRO Wah Lai Toi in 2004. This episodic thoughts was written during that broadcast over ASTRO on a daily basis from Monday to Friday, episode per episode and it is officially completed when the series ended its run. Episodic Thoughts consists of summary of plot and a review of the current episode, all written by me, Funn Lim. The comments are still open so feel free to post your comments. Please be informed that the posts in here are full of spoilers. Thank you.

> Cast list

Subject matter

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

Top Commenters

Get this widget

Counter


web log analysis