SPOILERS ... SPOILERS ... SPOILERS

EPISODE 13

Oooooooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhhh ... hate this Ben today. I mean, ok I, s a viewer too had been taken for a ride, I too felt cheated, angry, how I can be so stooopid BUT oooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhhhh... hate this Ben today.



Arson Case

Guess what? Sister did actually started that fire I talked about in the episode before. And guess what? Brother and sister were in it together, wanting to take revenge on that mean store owner. I suspect the brother actually wanted to steal that car! In fact I really doubt every sob story he said just last episode! How did Ben know? He saw them harrassing someone on the street like some street kids, like some gangsters and Ben, asked why? WHY? And they said they had to take care of themselves like what mama said and Ben said so I was stupid eh? and they said yeah Ben you were stupid lah. And guess what? They walked away after being so darn rude and Ben, having believed their story felt like the worst and most stupid idiot in the entire universe to believe they were actually so poor, so sad, so pitiful and so innocent. Ling saw all of it and didn't know how to console poor Ben, so she just followed Ben who kept saying he was so stupid to believe them.



At the same time, Vincent won his Marco Lee case. Now I was wondering how, when ,where? How come never show? Remember I was speculating what he was going to do and start of series, he won, celebrated his win with his insurance ex-girlfriend, Marco Lee and also Jessica. What he did to win that case? Maybe I will know later. I think the witness, that was the widow never turned up in court. Haven't they heard of subpoena?



Anyway, that insurance ex-GF was coming onto Vincent BIG TIME and Jess kinda cutely reminded Vincent to "Hey! Why don't you call Ling Ling? You know, YOUR GIRLFRIEND?" and thereafter don't know what happened to Jess because we see Vincent driving that "electric factory" home. Oh she never stopped asking him "Wanna come up to my house? Oh look you're too drunk, you can't drive, let's go up" but Vincent said he has a date, so the girl left. Vincent called Ling who was busy consoling Ben who was busy trying to understand why he was so stupid and so Ling said no to Vincent as she was busy and Vincenty sulkingly said "Ok, oh Marco is calling me" and ended the call. Next thing he walked out of the car to vomit and there she was, that "come to my place" girl and he actually walked up. When Ben was ok, Ling was driving back home and called Vincent and said Let's eat and Vincent said Sorry, party ended and just ended the call. Very ungentlemanly, a first for him. And when Ling was walking towards the stairs, Vincent jumped out and surprised Ling. She was happy to see him, he had that guilty look which made me wonder, did he do something with that wanton woman? Hmmmm maybe we will know later.



Two new cases today.



Breaking & Entering (to rob a house)

Ben was supposed to take this case but the guy who was charged was very unconvincing. He kept saying he did not steal his wife's grandma's jewelry worth $30,000-00 and his pregnant wife was there and she believed him BUT ...



1. he had an unexplained $30,000-00 in his account which he said he won lottery

2. he lied to the police by saying he never went back to that house that day but he was busted by the surveillance camera

3. someone saw him picking up some jewelry

4. he was reluctant and seemed to wonder about his answers when questioned



Ben was so frustrated that he said "YOU HAVE TO TELL ME THE TRUTH, IF NOT HOW CAN I HELP YOU, TELL ME DID YOU STARTED THAT FIRE.." and Jess immediately stopped him, client asked what fire and Ben was asked to leave, Jess said she can handle this.



Later on this guy was officially charged, he still denied stealing those jewelry and wife believed him but Ben didn't, Jess believed him but suspected he had another story to tell and Jess said she will help him. GOOD FOR JESS. For once she is taking on a case by her ownself though that guy looked guilty to me with his shifting eyes. By the way excellent performance by this actor whose name I do not know.



Next case, worse since it involved family.



Stealing Jade

I think Ben's dad is called Lok Kin but I will call him Mr Lok until I confirm this. Anyway Mr Lok was asked by the localold folks home to come to see an old man who had often taken advantage of Mr Lok but Mr Lok found out poor guy died, leaving him his worldly possessions of one bottle of medicine, one bottle of fermented something (you know, foo-yu) and one chicken shaped jade. Mr Lok went to a restaurant bemoaning how he had to settle that old man's $5,000-00 debt with that home and yet got some lousy stuff, feeling stupid when a friend came by and he asked the friend to look at the jade and suddenly the friend's eyes looked shifty and he said the jade is worthless and yet offered to buy it for $500-00. Mr Lok wanted to give him free but that guy just put the money on the table, took the jade and left.



Next thing that guy a very old friend of Mr Lok saw Mrs Lok who overheard him say something about a chicken shaped jade worthed over $50,000-00 and how on idiot believed him when he said it was worthless. Mrs Lok told Mr Lok who went to see this guy was he refused to return the jade. Mr Lok went home to Ben and now here is what I HATE ABOUT BEN.



Ben said, you took the $500-00, so sorry dad, case closed, no case. Dad said he cheated me, you have to fight for me and Ben said no fight, no more twisting the truth, just accept it dad and that was it! Ben Ben Ben, so bloody pessimistic, so unprofessional, so not like a good son! Dad was clearly cheated and he went oh so what, big deal, I got cheated too, mine was worse, let me sit on my sorry arse to feel sorry for myself, pity myself for being so stupid whilst my dad got cheated, he deserved it, he was stupid as well.



Sorry for my crude language, but for once I like Vincent's style. Work stays at the office. What happened Ben? Hate this Ben. More to hate later.



Then father said I will do something and Ben got a call and his dad was arrested for stealing! But he didn't steal because...



1. bad guy was drunk, dropped that jade and walked off, so dad picked it up but was arrested by police for looking suspiscious; and

2. dad thought that jade was his since that guy cheated him and he was taking what was his.



So Ben told Dad, please plead guilty, be fined and get on with life. Imagine this, Dad was the victim, albeit a stupid victim but Ben told him to just say he did it?! And then Dad almost pleaded guilty until he saw Jess with her client with that dishonest eyes and Jess said don't worry, if you did not do it, plead not guilty and we will fight it out and that man sat next to Mr Lok and Mr Lok said to himself if that guilty criminal looking man can plead not guilty why not I? So he pleaded not guilty, back at office Ben asked WHY DAD WHY? And Dad explained why but Ben said you did it, you took what was not yours! And Dad said I was cheated, it was mine, why are you not protecting my interest? And son said I am protecting your interest, I don't want to twist the truth and dad yelled so you will twist the truth for that arson duo (Juno told dad by the way, something Ben didn't want dad to know) and dad questioned Ben's sincerity and Ben was angry and wanted to leave but stopped by Vincent and dad told Vincent to please take my case since my son doesn't believe me and well... we will know the outcome in the next episode.



Ben! Ben! My least favourite character today. So negative, so discouraging. His dad's rights was clearly violated. Anyway at the end of today's episode Ben saw a beggar with broken legs on teh street who begged for money, Ben didn't want to give but his heart softened and he gave and police came and beggar RAN. Ben laughed at himself, like I the stupid one again when the police saw Ben and said to Ben some wise words ...



"Sometimes you will never know if it's true or false, all you have is to believe rather than not believing because you might never know ... it could be true"



Ben smiled, like some realisation that he was truly an idiot to question his ownself and the end.



Anyway wise words.



Anyway again, I told my sis, maybe we the female population has been deprived of some good old chilvary by gentleman because Vincent said to that wanton woman to just go back up to her place, and do please call me when you reach your apartment.



Ahhhh such simple gestures is enough to melt my cold cold heart. But Vincent is something of an enigma. He's bad, but not bad to the core. One very good scene had Ben eating, Ling and Vincent with him when Marco walked in with a bunch of reporters who wanted to interview him when Marco said interview my lawyer and Vincent gladly obliged. Ling looked over to a smiling Vincent and said in her dreamy voice; "I love to see Vincent when he is working ..." and in her eyes were admiration, respect. Ben felt even more an idiot when he remembered the arson duo. But Ling didn't mean to put Ben down, she was just revealing her admiration for Vincent. Like Jess, Ling saw in Vincent the ideal lawyer, efficient, very professional and concentrate on his work 100%. I guess every woman wants a Vincent who is a gentlema on the outside, dresses like a metrosexual man and is good at his work. But later I am sure we will know what Vincent actually did for Marco Lee.



Performance wise, I am beginning to see Sammul Chan's more appealing side, his boyish smile and cheeky twinkle in his eyes. But his acting capabilities is not tested, yet. Maybe later when some case involves his father, some emotional acting. I like seeing him play cool because acting cool requires minimum acting, maximum style. Wonder how he will be when he is required to actually peel away his outer coolness and give us his most heartfelt acting, someone emotionally exposed,someone naked, not literally but you know what I mean.



Best performance? Still Raymond Lam though I hated his Ben. But I like the way his Ben simply didn't care anymore. Myolie Wu had little to do today, just the supportive friend/girlfriend but her best acting moment was when she was looking over at Sammul's Vincent with such admiration in her eyes. They were rumoured to be lovers right? At that moment either it was supreme acting (which is most probably the case) or real life continuing in reel life.



Bernice Liu fared slightly better today and she is super cute today.



Worst acting is still our dear Ruby Wong. Now I don't get it. Her Sister Na quit Stanton because she got permission to be a defence lawyer from the bar?? Is Stanton some privatised prosecution firm? What is she anyway? I don't get it and I am dying here ... WHAT IS SHE? A PROSECUTOR OR DEFENCE LAWYER? HUH? HUH? HUHHHH?! Anyway even with all the confusion in my mind, I still can't get over her monotone delivery of her lines. Pure torture.



Well interesting episode with so many unanswered questions. Maybe in later episodes we will know more.

0 comments:

NOTICE

SPOILERS alert!

All opinion remains my own

Episodic thought is a detailed recap/summary and short review of each episode (as I watch them) with a dash of my own unique way of writing (basically it means if you're not into opinion that may differ from yours, please do not continue reading.

Your comments are most welcomed. Do use Post A Comment for the appropriate episode. Do remember to bookmark the episode so you may refer back when someone replies to your comments (if any). When commenting, please observe the rules of decorum and common courtesy. If this is a new series, please avoid posting future spoilers in earlier episodes, however you may post speculations.

For your information

This series was released in 2003 but was broadcast over ASTRO Wah Lai Toi in 2004. This episodic thoughts was written during that broadcast over ASTRO on a daily basis from Monday to Friday, episode per episode and it is officially completed when the series ended its run. Episodic Thoughts consists of summary of plot and a review of the current episode, all written by me, Funn Lim. The comments are still open so feel free to post your comments. Please be informed that the posts in here are full of spoilers. Thank you.

> Cast list

Subject matter

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

Top Commenters

Get this widget

Counter


web log analysis