SPOILERS ... SPOILERS ... SPOILERS

EPISODE 4

The case of that poor timid boy continues, but the way the trial goes... I have my doubts. It's all drama without substance.



Grevious Bodily Harm Case

Vincent had a doctor prepare a report about this boy's mental health, or more to the point, what made him punched that fat kid 5 times. Vincent wanted to rely on self defence. Now self defence ... you must prove imminent danger, not just that it might happen but that it is a real danger, in the mind of the accused. The boy clearly had that because that fat boy had been bullying him everyday. Everyday! But Vincent wanted the judge (King Sir) to read the report and he and Jessica barged into his room, demanded that the judge read the report, then Jess threw the report into King Sir's car and yes, he read the report, the report went in because the judge decided it as such. Funny because the prosecution had no knowledge of this and that to me is unfair surprise and very unprofessional. My question is why can't Vincent submit the report to the judge IN THE COURT? Why must he go around demanding (in Jess' case, begging) the judge to read the report when he could have just submitted it in the court, get the psychiatrist to testify in court? Or better yet, get the court to appoint a psychiatrist so that no one can argue the other's psychiatrist is biased? Why? Why? Why? And how come they can so easily strut into the judge's chambers (room)? No security? No secretary? I had come across rooms where I had to pass through not just the secretary's room first but the assistant of the secretary who reads each letter to be delivered to the judge examining it as if it might have anthrax!



Anyway, back to the case. Vincent called the boy as a witness, and as predicted, even before Little Man answered Vincent's question, he pee in the dock, crying. The judge then ordered everybody into his room and demanded why Vincent did what he did? Sister Na also got angry, saying it was all tactics and Vincent said he miscalculated his client's fragile emotions and he apologised. BS! He knew what he was doing and when he left the judge's room, he was smiling like a smug. Little Man's father didnt' appreciate the public humiliation but well, tactics won that day.



In the end the judge rules that the boy was not guilty by way of self defence (avery possible defence actually, and if that fat kid died, it could have been diminished responsiblity or insanity or perhaps provocation?). Everybody was happy. What I wanted to see was the fat kid's parents' reaction. I was hoping to see them crying and screaming at Vincent and Little Man, I mean that would make very good drama but nope, they simply walked way with their brain damaged son and did nothing.



Anyway I thought Vincent's closing was very good. He did say that as much as we should pity the fat kid, we must realise at the end of the day Little Man is the real victim here. I definitely agree. All I can say is that fat kid brought about his own condition. The parents should be blamed as well for not teaching their son properly. Whilst the consequence is severe, and that fat kid might have grown up to be a decent fellow, all these consequences stemmed from that fat kid's constant abuse of Little Man. Little Man must go for counselling and therapy. He has not just self esteem issue (as said by Vincent) but anger issue as well. He could grow up to be the docile polite guy shooting dead everybody in the supermarket because he could no longer stomach his anger anymore.



Jess after the win said she will buy Vincent dinner, who was previously promised a dinner by Ling as well. Vincent gladly accepted Jess' offer.



A new interesting case today.



Feuding Couple In A Divorce

After the high profile cases, many came looking for legal representation at HK Law Firm. One of which is a very funny one where one couple agreed for a divorce but each side demanded their own lawyer to scold the other party just to make them feel guilty. Vincent was supposed to represent the husband but he didn't want to do such small case, so boos Master Hung took over. The wife was represented by Sister Na (now I am confused! Sister Na, the prosecutor or Sister Na the private practitioner?!). THey went along with the act of scolding the other party until things got too personal and they ended up vented their anger at one another, how Hung always helped his friends and never Sister Na, how Sister Na had too high an expectation on Master Hung when they were together, how Master Hung married a stupid wife ... they argued so loudly that their clients had to restrain them! In the end their clients decided their problems are small problems and they will try to work things out and the husband even advised Master Hung and Sister Na to just sit down and talk! That was funny.



Anyway back to the relationship issues. Ling obviously like Ben but doesn't admit it. She thought that Jess is with Ben when she saw Jess wearing a very nice black dress when Jess thought she was having dinner with Vincent. It turns out that the boss took everybody out for dinner and poor Jess, couldn't reveal her love for Vincent. Now, Jess is such a silly character. She drinks from Vincent's mug and hopes that he will drink from the exact spot her lips touched the cup, thinking she was about to kiss him for real. I mean sorry to say, I like Jess but she comes across like an idiot to me.



At the meantime, Juno's character whose name I have yet to familiarise with (but I read that it's Ah Leng so I am going to call him Ah Leng) likes Jess. Everybody thinks Jess likes Ben because they thought she followed Ben to HK Law Firm but in actual fact, a fact that Ben knows that she is actually following Vincent.



Now Vincent is such an interesting character. Not the actor but the character. He is devious, he is calculative, he cares little for his client (he aims to win but in the best interest of his client of course), he is arrogant, he thinks he can get away with anything and he has this self satisfying smile everytime he talks. A smug look. And notice how he fiddles his pen when he is presenting a case? That means he is such a self assured, pompous, confident man. Good because he is good at what he does and he knows it but bad because he is capable of everything to achieve what he wants. I see a potential good character gone bad in him and I just hope he redeems himself in the end. I wouldn't say he is evil, because he is friendly to fellow staff and colleagues, it's just that he is cold, he is not very expressive and a classic self assured successful professional yuppie. I can why Ling AND Jess both like him. I mean I like him too, he is dangerous and hard to get.



But the truth is I love Ben. He is such a cute guy, a guy whose brand of justice and view of the role of a lawyer is my ideal philosophy. He has a bad habit though; he tends to stand too close to somebody, touching them in a friendly way that Ling always misinterpreted as possible molestation but Ling knows, he's a nice guy. Today less of Ben more of Vincent though.



Performance wise, Raymond Lan rules with his very laid back performance of a very laid back guy.



Lok Ying Kwan is still the best though whilst Myolie is such a delight to watch. But I can't stand how her Ling treats Ben. Maybe the more attraction, the worse her Ling treats poor Ben.



Sammul Chan is watchable but a better actor could have given his Vincent a more sinister edge. Sammul did fine, he's not bad and his self assured smile is I do think from the actor himself. I don't see him as sexy or attractive in a very masculine kind of way, in fact a better looking actor would have made Vincent sexier, more dangerous and I bet girls would be hoping to get his attention. I can't think of another actor who is young enough and professional looking enough to play Vincent because HK is seriously lacking in young good looking sexy actor. Maybe those who are watching Aqua Heroes might consider Bosco Wong but not to me. I did think perhaps Bosco but ... does he look like a lawyer to you? A self assured pompous lawyer? Maybe with a change of image! But who else? I can name a few outside of HK (as is always the case) but in HK, any suggestion? So thus far Sammul is just right for this role, but he needs to tap more into Vincent's inner demons so to speak. I don't know, everytime I see Vincent as in my ideal Vincent in looks and in behaviour, I expect someone sexy. Yes sexy. Who?



The actor who plays King Sir (the judge) is really good. I remember as a doctor in some series I have seen, he really behaves like a doctor! The boy who plays Little Man is also good, maybe not very good but good enough. Actually better than Juno who I hope is a better singer than he is as an actor.



Worst actor has to be Juno. But he is only supporting role so good for him and for us.



Worst actress could be Bernice Liu but I like her. I mean despite her Jess being an idiot (I mean there was a scene how she tried to read her aunt's closing arguments! I mean stupid!), I like her and I feel sad that Vincent doesn't know how she feels. No the worst actress tonight has to be Ruby Wong. She talks like she 's talking with her mouth open (so her diction/pronounciation is horrible), her hair is ok actually but her acting ... her acting ... I can't find a wordto describe it. Lousy? Not as bad as one person I have in mind. Horrible? Maybe. Lacking in emotions? Could be. Cold? Perhaps. Detached? Probably. Plain bad acting? Oh yes, perfect. That's the word(s), plain bad acting.



Anyway we are introduced to Master Hung's young wife played by Winnie Yeung who plays a ditzy wife (well she was plain mean in Take My Word For It, in here she is rather ignorant of her husband's financial situation). She shops, shops, shops whilst Master Hung indulges her. I bet she leaves him in the end. Sister Na obviously still have feelings for Master Hung.



Overall a very good episode but again the legal part and how Vincent and Jess go about in their trial... I reserve my comments. Maybe HK legal system is different from the rest of the world.



Anyway just a what if question here. What is this series is filmed in Singapore? Who can play ...



Ling - someone young, I see Jacelyn Tay but she's older but can still do. Maybe Jeannette Aw.



Vincent - one man, my man of the moment, Shaun Chen. Yes yes I like him ok?! OK?! You have a problem with that?!



Jessica - many. Maybe Jeannette Aw also, maybe someone else, like Apple Hong? She looks a bit not too bright (excuse my words but that's my impression). Many others but most are a bit too old.



Ben - Pierre Png because I find Pierre Png cute. But there are others who are young enough for this role. It's just that in my mind now I can't think of any. So far Raymond Lam is just right.



Sister Na - Is Fann Wong too young for this role? Maybe Zoe Tay? Someone who can act?



I have a confession actually. I see Shaun Chen as Vincent. This guy has a bad boy reputation, is to me sexy in a very dangerous brooding (some say boring) way, I personally find him interesting and if he has the looks to play a computer wiz/billionaire and a successful financial advisor (in his new series coming soon, Yi Xin Ren (my most anticipated series that I can never watch because I am not in Singapore), I read he is playing someone mean, someone bad), he can be Vincent. And he's about the right age, maybe a year older. Ok, maybe I am promoting him way too much but well, fellow Malaysian mah! I make it my personal mission to promote him until and unless someone who catches my fancy comes along. It won't be long I am sure. If you're wondering who he is, here's a nice picture from his series, Power Of Love. Actually he looks better onscreen. Maybe minus the long hair, I see Vincent as clean shaven, short professional yuppie hair.







Maybe as I go along with my episodic thoughts, I 'll put up a list of names from the world over. But my mind is set as to who can play Vincent, probably play him better.

0 comments:

NOTICE

SPOILERS alert!

All opinion remains my own

Episodic thought is a detailed recap/summary and short review of each episode (as I watch them) with a dash of my own unique way of writing (basically it means if you're not into opinion that may differ from yours, please do not continue reading.

Your comments are most welcomed. Do use Post A Comment for the appropriate episode. Do remember to bookmark the episode so you may refer back when someone replies to your comments (if any). When commenting, please observe the rules of decorum and common courtesy. If this is a new series, please avoid posting future spoilers in earlier episodes, however you may post speculations.

For your information

This series was released in 2003 but was broadcast over ASTRO Wah Lai Toi in 2004. This episodic thoughts was written during that broadcast over ASTRO on a daily basis from Monday to Friday, episode per episode and it is officially completed when the series ended its run. Episodic Thoughts consists of summary of plot and a review of the current episode, all written by me, Funn Lim. The comments are still open so feel free to post your comments. Please be informed that the posts in here are full of spoilers. Thank you.

> Cast list

Subject matter

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

Top Commenters

Get this widget

Counter


web log analysis